Startup Lab is an interactive program of seven classes held over seven weeks, designed to help you create, implement, and present your business. In the program, we help you define the fundamental purpose of your business and the core value it offers to your customers. We cover marketing, finance, business planning, and organizational development to ensure that you have the tools you need to successful!
Startup Lab ends with a presentation pitch to Hannah Grimes Center instructors, community members, and other professionals in the area interested in learning about participating businesses. While the pitch is nerve-wracking to some, it’s the perfect opportunity to launch your business and practice speaking publicly about your business in a clear, compelling way.
Benefits of the Program
Startup Lab is a collaborative program. You will work with the instructor and other participants to discuss your business and dive deeply into the components of your business. The instructor’s role is to help facilitate the discussion and offer insight, where helpful.
We also invite a number of community members to share their expertise and experience with either starting a business or supporting growing businesses. Guest speakers include entrepreneurs, service providers, working professionals, and all around wise sages.
Startup Lab offers an ideal setting for discovery, hands-on application of practical business tools, and the ability to clearly communicate the value of your product or service, and benefits your business offers.
Introduction to StartUp Lab
- Class overview
- Create mission, vision, and values
- Understand the opportunity and or the problem your business addresses
- Business model and financial viability
- Basic terms and definitions of financial terms
- Financial statements, budget projections
- Financing your business
Customer, Marketing, and Sales
- Defining and understanding your customer
- Define the market and business need
- Create your value proposition
- Developing your marketing and sales plan
- Initial practice pitch
From Idea to Reality
- Resources and assets
- Working on your business plan
- Working on your presentation pitch
Milestones and Metrics
- Project management techniques
- SMART Goals
- Metrics to understand performance and health of business
Executive Summary of Your Business Plan
- Full pitch practice
- Learn from an experienced entrepreneur
- Pitch your business to friends, family, and community members!
- Debrief and asses your experience and all-important next steps
(Class topics subject to change as needed to maximize the impact of the Startup lab experience)
The Startup Lab offered by the Hannah Grimes Center is simply outstanding. The Hannah Grimes Center provides a strong network of resources to supplement class instruction, in a vibrant, positive, professional atmosphere. This start-up entrepreneurship class teaches invaluable business-planning skills, and should be considered a must for anyone starting a business.
Carol Renzelman, Owner of By My Pen
Startup Lab helped me to outline a plan for my business. Both the instructor and the rest of the class had a lot of questions and feedback for me, which helped to clarify my ideas about the business. Each meeting was interesting and engaging and we all learned a lot from a supportive group.
By the end of the Startup Lab program, I had an initial business plan to help me to move forward with starting my business. Soon after, I launched my first product and am making sales! It’s exciting to go from a business idea to a running, albeit very small, business that’s creating value for customers.
Steve Roll, Owner of Rising Fellow
It was a huge benefit to start building a network…and to carve out space each week to discover every part of my business I would need to dive deep into understanding. Creating a business is an exploration of your strengths and weaknesses — having a resource, network, and support is very crucial during this period of time. Start-up lab provided this and so much more!
Danya Landis, Owner of Machina Arts
Is It Right for You?
You should apply if:
- You are passionate about your business and serious about making it successful
- You are motivated to take action and break through obstacles to grow your business
- You are ready and willing to challenge yourself and step outside your comfort zone
- You welcome constructive feedback so you can improve your business habits and practices
- You work collaboratively and recognize the benefit of sharing both success and failure to achieve success
Schedule, Cost, Payment
The meetings for this program will take place at Hannah Grimes Center for Entrepreneurship. Startup Lab meets on Thursdays for a three-hour energetic, hands-on work session. Full participation in all sessions is required!
Startup Lab meets on Thursdays for 7 weeks, 8:00am-11:00am on the following dates:
- Spring 2020: 4/2, 4/9, 4/16, 4/23, 4/30, 5/7, and 5/14
- Fall 2020: 10/8, 10/15, 10/22, 10/29, 11/5, 11/12, and 11/19
The tuition for Startup Lab is $600.
A non-refundable deposit ($100) is requested in advance of the class. The remaining cost of the class is due before the first day. Both may be paid online.
- Complete a Startup Lab application.
- Submit your application to us by March 23, 2020 at email@example.com, or drop off your application to The Hannah Grimes Center, Startup Lab, 25 Roxbury St, Keene, NH 03431
- Applicants will be contacted before the start of the class to confirm program acceptance or schedule an additional interview, if necessary.
- After acceptance, a non-refundable deposit for materials of $100 is required to save your place in the Lab. Full payment of tuition is due before the first day of class.